One day I told someone special how adverse I was to taking pictures. I always felt it was unnatural and if it was candid, let it be done with consent. Being reflective as I am, I try to test my own beliefs to see the merits of it. There was a point of time where I had a healthy dose of self-hatred seeing the future of all things WAAAY ahead of time. Somewhere down the road though, I became foolish and unbalanced; what should’ve merely been a cocoon became a donjon of endless rejections. I’m getting better though. We’re getting better. Keep on praying for my family as I pray for yours.
Remember when Phat Farm and Baby Phat was hot fashion? I just recently found out why these brands died down. It’s sad when certain language becomes dated because the fashion is no longer in style. Like girl, you ‘thicc’ and I like that Phat; that Baby Phat. I don’t know what’s more tragic, realizing you’re getting old, learning about the vice that surrounded Phat Farm or being ignorant of it’s phantom twin being virtuous. Sorry guys, I’m still recovering from being fed partial truths for a good portion of my life. So bear with me here. I’m not trying to be irresponsible with my words. I’m doing my best to convey invisible realities. Shout out to Russell Simmons for setting the standard that you can be more than a recording artist.
Today’s Gospel reading comes from Revelation 21:
6 And he said to me, “It is done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. To the thirsty I will give from the spring of the water of life without payment. 7 The one who conquers will have this heritage, and I will be his God and he will be my son. 8 But as for the cowardly, the faithless, the detestable, as for murderers, the sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death. Rev 21:6-8 ESV
Now I typically don’t like teaching from Revelation because I believe if you were misreading the Old Testament and the Gospels, you have a very funky view of this book. In other words, if you took for granted small details in earlier passages, more than likely you’re overlooking nuggets in the Book. Never mind getting into details within the Creation Story and other stuff; the point I’m making is that there is a particular nuance here: for now we’ll focus on the word ‘sorcerers’.
In the Greek, the word is pharmakeus, which may play a role in where were get the word Pharmacy. The idea is that potions were magical remedies that brought about healing. It would be incorrect then to use this word as an indictment against pharmaceuticals much in the same way that saying affirmations are casting spells. After all, Jesus did say he would cause those who believe to drink from the spring of the water of life…
Evie: You just had to go there didn’t you?
Me: **shrugs shoulders**
7 Illegal Drugs that Can Be Used AS Medicine
Now I’m not here to pull your strings and somehow delude you to become an addict. As many doctors have found positive uses for what is typically known as recreational drugs, I reveal them to you. My advice is to be cautious when using any substance whether prescribed or not. Neither the judgment of you or doctors are infallible. So as Paul would say, “All things are lawful,” but not all things are helpful. With that in mind, let’s move forward.
- Cocaine – Did you know that this drug has been used as a topical anaesthetic in South America because of its numbing properties? These effects are known to also alleviate headaches. How sway! Doctors are discovering its advantages to treat irritable bowel disease and other problems with the gut. I wonder when did people decide that putting Coke in Coca-Cola was a problem?
- Heroin – Is commonly used as pain management in hospitals. Avoid using pain killers as a way to relieve pain as it is highly addictive.
- Magic Shrooms – Another remedy against headaches, obsessive compulsive disorder, and can even remedy depression and anxiety. But being honest here, people turn to shrooms for their psychedelic properties.
- Ketamine – also known as ‘Special K’. No, no, no not the cereal here. Ketamine is found to be helpful in tranquilizing horses. There have been studies to suggest ketamine can also cure depression.
- MDMA – Otherwise known as ecstacy, E, or X. Studies show it has the potential to treat PTSD. Don’t use it as some caffeine stimulant though.
- LSD – Weird fact! In Norway, LSD is known as a possible treatment for alcoholism. I’m not exactly sure if it truly makes them clean, or give them side effects considering their hallucinogenic nature.
- Cannabis – Long known as pain relief for chronic illnesses, it has been proven to relieve PTSD, nausea, and some cases of glaucoma and Crohn’s disease.
The Beastly Cures
Not to put some lofty – I told you drugs aren’t that bad – in your face. In a society where black and white thinking abounds, there is more room for the virtue of moderation to take center stage when forming an opinion. A mature person will weight the pros and cons of any issue, Biblical or not. Again, this isn’t to say that all things are redeemable. There are certain things that should be avoided at all costs. Nevertheless, all things can be reconciled to Christ and is the job of true ambassadors to facilitate His work.
Between ten and twenty/
I was a silly rabbit/
Stuck in a compound/
Between proteins & fatty acids/
I begged for magic/
You should’ve seen my top hat/
Sleight of hands hating/
The pitiful poor cat/
Eyes peeled to her smile/
Got them screamn’ loud/
Searching her head like I brows/
Free from corruption/
As I sit in this luncheon/
Our love’s sky-rocketing/
Throughout every function/
F3, F3, was that the right key?/
It can’t be fantastic without the Trinity/
You got 33 seconds
to fulfill your ministry/
So eat and have faith/
Here comes the end of History/
The shortcomings of man should not persuade anyone to lose hope in the Final Consummation. It’s unfortunate of what we’re hearing in marriages; Derrick Jaxson and Chris and Paige comes to mind. For those who are married, now is the time to look to Jesus to make every crooked place straight & rough place plain. He will lead us into all truth in His righteousness. So therefore in honor of the National Drug and Alcohol Awareness week, I say to you love Christ until you reach your natural high.
Until next time,
For the one who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption, but the one who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life.
— Gal 6:8 ESV